2023 Robert M. Weekley Summer Internship Program
Updated 1/30/2023. Will update with application link (SMApply) on February 13, 2023.
Lowe Institute Sponsored Internship Experience Eligibility Guidelines:
The Lowe Institute of Political Economy offers internship awards for rising sophomores, juniors, and seniors pursuing unpaid or underpaid economic research and public policy internships in the summer of 2023. As many of opportunities in research and public policy are less remunerated than competing internships in the areas of finance, consulting, and law, the Lowe Institute will raise selected students’ total summer compensation up to $10,000. Funding for Lowe Summer Internship is made possible by donors who have established endowed funds and gifts of support to the Lowe Institute Summer Internship Program.
The aim of the program is to support first and foremost the students’ development of field-relevant skills in professionally and personally meaningful opportunities in which access would be difficult to pursue without funding support.
Application Portal Opens: February 13, 2023
Application Portal Closes: May 5, 2023
- Well respected think tanks with missions pertaining to public policy or basic research in social science. Well known examples include Brookings, AEI, the OECD, and the Public Policy Institute of California but eligibility is not restricted to these most visible examples. Eligibility is not restricted to US institutions.
- Departments of Federal, State, and Local Governments. For instance, the US Treasury Department or the County Supervisor’s Office. Eligibility is not restricted to US institutions.
- Work with a professor on their research project. Either a CMC professor or someone from another institution. Either at CMC or elsewhere.
- Link to previous years’ Lowe Sponsored Internship recipients.
How to secure an internship opportunity:
Feel free to be creative: approach people and let them know you can bring your own funding and are prepared to work remotely. E.g. put together a proposal for field research (albeit supervised by an expert). We want to enable you to get that perfect skill-building experience that wouldn’t be possible without financial support.
Eligible summer internships must:
- Be a minimum of 6 weeks but preferable 8-10 weeks.
- Be a virtual experience OR if in-person, must be local to the student and abides by local public health ordinance. Current residence will be verified prior to award distribution.
- NOT be for work on political campaigns.
Eligible students must:
- Be enrolled at CMC in Spring 2023 and plan to enroll in Fall 2023.
- Be in good academic standing.
- Articulate the specific learning experience the applicant aims to receive from the summer experience.
- Candidates seeking internship funding from the Lowe Institute should apply through SMApply.
Accepted students must:
- Confirm internship with an offer letter prior to submitting funding request to Lowe Institute and SMApply.
- Receive Lowe Institute acceptance letter and upload to SMApply.
Complete SMApply application and be cleared for funding approval through SIE.
- Submit to the Lowe Institute a one-page reflective statement about your experience with photo by September 30, 2023.
- Be willing to share the internship experience with the Lowe Institute Board of Governors as requested in either fall 2023 or spring 2024.